Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Who and What is Stevie's Artisans

I created Stevie's Artisans as a curated collection of museum quality hand crafts and wearable art made by graffiti and fine artists. Stevie's Artisans is actually a continuation and extension of a retail relationship with several Bronx-based artists begun when I was manager/buyer of the gift shop of the Bronx Museum of the Arts. After I was laid off (another causalty of the tanked economy) I expanded the group of artisans I was working with and resumed this retail relationship on my newly created web site: http://www.steviesartisans.com/


I now represent a group of fifteen artists with an eclectic collection of goods that includes hand-hammered silver jewelry, mobiles crafted from found objects, graffiti-painted model subway cars, art for children with a distinctly urban point-of-view, hand-made soaps and candles and hand painted silk-screened apparel.

I plan to introduce the incredibly talented artisans of Stevie's Artisans, show their work and talk about how my interest in folk art snowballed and evolved into my interest in what I think of as urban folk art.


Stevie's Artisans is a brand of hand-crafted, artisanal goods that I call "Urban Folk Art." My artisans create from a hip, urban perspective. The statement is often bold and "edgy" and it is always created with artistry and fine craftsmanship.

No comments:

Post a Comment